Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I'll take the Series over the Stadium

I never made it to Yankee Stadium this summer. I wanted to.

I spent many days and nights inside the old ballpark and many dollars in the souvenir shops across the street buying those cool old black and white photos of Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and Elston Howard.

I wanted to go back one last time and say good-bye to an old friend.

Never made it, though just about everyone I know did.

But, I’m going to the World Series.

At Tropicana Field.

Something I never thought I would ever cover, the World Series and a World Series game at the Trop.

Yankee Stadium was basically October’s stage, the scene of plenty of great World Series baseball.

Now it is the Trop’s turn.

Here we are on the afternoon of Game 1 and we can only wonder what memories await us during this Fall Classic.

I would have liked to have said farewell to Yankee Stadium; taken one last walk around the ballpark. But I have my memories and a few of those old photos.

Instead, I’m saying hello to the World Series.

You know what? I’ll take that trade.

No comments: