Thursday, September 3, 2009

How about dressing as playoff contenders?


Another road trip looms for the Rays, and you know what that means? Another theme.


I would suggest dressing like a playoff contender, but, so far, no one has asked me.


Rays manager Joe Maddon held a meeting before Thursday's game with the Red Sox to discuss a few ideas. His big one: Herb Tarlek (above) from WKRP in Cincinnati, the old 1970s sitcom about a radio station in Cincinnati.


Tarlek was known for his checkered suits.


"That got a few scowls," Maddon said. "So I left it up to the guys."


Some suggestions:
Camouflage, which probably came from the boys in the bullpen. The Russ Springer, Chad Bradford crowd.


Some players suggested "business." The old suit and tie, dress for success-look, which would actually work since the Rays have to be all business if they hope to catch the Red Sox.


Still, I like my idea.

No comments: